Saturday 9 April 2011

The Bennets, the Brontës and the Buckleys

With exams fast approaching I thought it about time I gave into peer pressure and jumped on the blogging band wagon. After all, I do love a bit of procrastination. I’m not entirely sure what I’ll be writing about as, to be honest, not much happens in my life, but seeing as I’ll probably have a grand total of about 4 readers I think it’ll be ok...

As it’s the Easter holidays I’m back home in sunny Croydon, which means I’ve being seeing quite a bit of my family. We had a family dinner this week – cooked by me, with the review: ‘ooh, there are lots of different flavours... It’s certainly not bland, anyway.’ Thanks, Dad. So, during this dinner my mum pointed out an article that she had read that day saying that families in which there are four daughters are the most trying. And for those of you that don’t know, that is in fact my family. Anyway, my parents and my eldest sister (not entirely sure when she became an authority on this) agreed emphatically with the article, which got me thinking.

When I tell people that I’ve got three sisters I normally get one of two reactions, the first being that of sympathy for my father and the second, more common, the impression that our childhood was one never ending sleepover. To the first reaction, I’d say that I suppose I feel a little sorry for my dad too, and to the second, I can assure you, this was not the case and at times we fought like cats and dogs; there was even, on one occasion, an incident of knife crime! (Not as bad as it sounds, but we did grow up in Croydon after all!) But, despite these things there were so many good times, good times that I often neglect to reflect on. Some of my favourite memories are of us building dens out of furniture, throwing water bombs and doing three-legged races in the garden during summer, excitedly waking each other up on Christmas morning with cries of 'he's been!', midnight Pizza Hut orders and car journeys singing about Cecil the caterpillar. We’re all pretty much grown up now though, ( I say pretty much, when in actual fact  what I mean is a lot grown up: one is married and another engaged) and although from time to time we still bicker, I find it amazing how easily we all come back together and fall back into our roles as sisters.

So, despite what this article said and my parents agreeing with it (really, they’ve only got themselves to blame!), I wouldn’t change things for the world. And, although I spend a lot of my time complaining about them (especially ‘the baby’), my sisters are some of my closest friends, they know just what to say to make me laugh, to make me cry,  to make me see sense and, most importantly, to annoy me...

Right, I’ve rambled on long enough for my first post. Just so you know, future posts won’t be anywhere near as sentimental as this, thankfully! But I’m sure now I’ve finally got a blog I’ll be chatting on about rubbish on a fairly regular basis. 

No comments:

Post a Comment