Monday 2 May 2011

Muggate

This week sees the start of my final year exams. Eek. However, I am trying to forget this fact, so instead I will focus on the curious case of the missing mugs, more commonly known (by me) as Muggate.

My story starts in October when I moved back to Reading to start my 4th year of studying French and English. I remember move in day well, I had come straight to Reading from Aberdeen, bringing with me, amongst other things, two mugs, one bearing my name and the other one being a present that had been sent all the way to Lyon. For a month or so everything was going quite well and I enjoyed many cups of tea, sometimes a hot chocolate, happily alternating between the two mugs. Then suddenly they both disappeared! I searched the entire kitchen, friends searched the kitchen and I even inquired at reception, yet there was no sign of either mug. Thus I consigned myself to a life without them and in time I learnt to love my new mugs. Then last night, whilst making a revision break cuppa, I looked in my cupboard and as if by magic the mugs were there!  

The mugs at the centre of the Muggate scandal

How they got there nobody knows. While it all remains shrouded in mystery I am just pleased that a bit of variation can now be added to tea-breaks! Perhaps the fact that I am so excited by this is a sign that I should probably get out a bit more, but for now I am just enjoying this reunion of a girl and her mugs. With this Osama Bin Laden business it’s unlikely Muggate will make even the local news, so if anybody has any ideas as to the whereabouts of the mugs between November and May, then please do let me know. I’m hoping I’ve watched enough Poirot and Miss Marple to solve this mystery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment